Friday 24 January 2014

Wake Island

Pacific Ocean-Wake Island  This island is very difficult to get permission to visit. I was due to go a few  years before but due to a typhoon the trip was cancelled. Got permission this time as part of a special visit group including relatives of people who died in the Battle of Wake Island. Spend the full day here with lots to see. Like a little part of USA which it is , with a bar, restaurant and an amazing old Airport Terminal. This postcard , I purchased in advance and is from the 1960s. 

Arrived here December 11, which was the day that the battle of Wake started December 11, 1941. I was surprised to find a full functioning Post Office here. It is situated in the beautiful terminal building . 

Pacific Ocean-Wake Island  Purchased this card in the souvenir shop at the airport. The military were very helpful and arranged tours of the island and the history. There was a special ceremony with the relatives of the deceased from the second World War. Visiting Wake Island, was the main reason for my trip to the Pacific and once the trip was a go, other islands just were added on. 

I really like this very clear postmark from the Post office. It looks like a Post office from the 1950s, not that I was around then. Wake Wake Island ! Reminds me of Wideawake airfield on Ascension Island . 

No comments:

Post a Comment